Q: DMTL and oil filter housing and pan gasket need fixing - what is essential to pass the inspection?

asked by on November 01, 2016

Vehicle didn't pass inspection. 2004 BMW 325i. Recommendation is to replace the DMTL Pump ($700), Oil Filter Housing ($850) and Oil Pan Gasket ($1200). Are all of those really necessary to pass inspection (North Carolina)? Are those prices way out of line? If you could only afford one of those changes, which would you take a stab at to hopefully get it to pass inspection? Thanks for the help! Really hoping I don't have to find a way to pay for a $3K fix on a car that's only worth about that much...

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. There are two inspections to pass, the safety inspection and emissions inspection.

For the safety inspection, the station is required to check but is not limited to: tire quality, brake lights, headlamps, turn signals, windshield wipers, window quality, the horn, and the emissions.

If the oil pan is leaking too much, the oil filter housing is damaged or leaking too much, and the DMLT pump leaking, then they can flag the vehicle until the items are fixed.

If you cleaned the oil pan and cleaned the oil filter housing (unless the housing is broken then it needs replaced), then those would be fine for inspection. However, the DMLT pump needs replaced due to emissions evaporative leak.

I recommend cleaning the oil pan, cleaning the oil filter housing, and replacing the DMLT pump, pass the inspection, then replace the oil pan gasket and replace the oil filter housing in that sequence. If needed, you may want to have a second mechanic pinpoint the existing fault(s) and confirm the needed repairs so that this can be corrected properly the first time.

To get an approximation of these costs, you can enter your vehicle’s information on our estimator page and then select the services that you’d like to receive a quote for.