Q: The temperate gauge goes all he way to 260. And then my van died and wouldn't start. I let it kool down and he. It started up agai

What might be he problem.? When I tried to restart the van it made noises and wouldn't start. I waited a bit and then it started. What could cause the overhearing and what do I do to fix it.

A: You need to let the van completely cool dow...

You need to let the van completely cool down and check the coolant level to make sure it is not low on coolant or have a leak. If you're not low on coolant or have any leaks, then you may need to replace the thermostat. Check the cooling fan clutch to make sure it locks up and pulls enough air. You can check this by holding up a tissue on the front of the condenser after vehicle warms up to operating temperature. You'll know if you need to replace it if it does not lock up and hold the tissue. If you need some help with getting this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can diagnose your overheating issue and help you make the necessary repairs.