Q: My ABS and brake light are on, but brakes are working.

Noticed 2 days ago my ABS light and brake light were on. My brakes seem to be working although I haven't had to drive much since being on. Wondered what the problem could be and how safe to drive?

Your car is equipped with wheel speed sensors at each of the four wheels which monitor wheel speed while relaying this information constantly to the ABS and traction control system which are controlled by the car’s ECU. When the ECU senses an abnormal speed given specific conditions, it engages the ABS or traction control as needed to control the vehicle properly and safely. Occasionally, these sensors can fail or become faulty working intermittently sending inaccurate signals to the ECU. When this happens, you may experience the symptoms you have described. The ABS or traction control system may be inadvertently activated by these false or inaccurate signals. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your ABS and traction control system.

3. My ABS and brake light are on, but brakes are working.