Q: The fuel gauge moves up and down I never know how much gas I have

asked by on July 10, 2016

I would like to know what is wrong with it . It says full then it goes all the way down to empty . What is the part I need to replace and where is it located

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Fuel Gauge Sender Replacement $125.41 - $1062.69 Get a Quote

The fuel sending unit is in the fuel tank mounted to the fuel pump assembly. The sending unit is shorted or open and needs to be tested using a gauge tester or by removing it and measuring the resistance of the sender by hand to see if it is working correctly. If you want to have this looked at, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the electrical wiring in your car to see if there is a simple fix, or if the car will need a sending unit replacement.