Q: The relation between car revving and timing chain

Can revving the car to the max damage the timing chain, even a little? Sometimes I use the kick down to pass someone and sometimes I rev the car to the max to reach almost 6750 rpm, so can this damage the motor or the timing chain? I assume that cars are designed to handle this kind of pressure, especially the new cars.

Hello, thanks for writing in. Short period of high revving on a good engine will not damage anything. If the engine has been held at a high rpm for a long period of time, or if there are any issues with the maintenance of the engine, then that can also cause damage. But as long as the engine is well maintained and in good shape, then the high revving that occurs during passing will not hurt the timing chain.

If you would like an inspection performed to make sure everything with your car is okay, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to perform a 75-point safety inspection for you.

3. The relation between car revving and timing chain