Q: The car's service engine soon light is on and the car shuts down going up hill.

Whilst going up hill, the car stalled on me and the service engine soon light went on. I turned the car off and then back on and the car ran well. It did the exact same thing a couple minutes later going up another hill except this time the steering wheel locked on me too. But again I was able to turn the car off and back on again. I let it sit for a couple of hours, then I drove it again to see what would happen. The light is still on but it made it up hill with no problem and seemed fine.

Hi there:

If your steering wheel locked up on you while driving, this could be a serious safety issue that should be inspected by a professional mobile mechanic as soon as possible. Sometimes service lights illuminated while driving are a minor electrical glitch, however, it’s possible that you have an electrical fault underneath the dashboard or other issue that is causing this inconsistent service light issue. Regardless, because you indicated the steering wheel locked up on you, this is something you should have inspected ASAP before it happens again.

• The car's service engine soon light is on and the car shuts down going up hill.