Q: The car cannot be started, dash lights on

The other day, I was driving my car and parked it for a short time. When I went back to continue driving, the car turned on but only for a few moments and then it shut off. I attempted to restart several times and each time it was running briefly and died out. Then, it wouldn't start at all. Now, the dashboard shows lights on but the car cannot be started. What should I do?

A: Hello. It sounds like the battery is dead a...

Hello. It sounds like the battery is dead and the alternator may not be charging properly. The first step would be to replace the battery. After that, you should have the charging system inspected to see if it would be necessary to replace the alternator as well. These services should be done by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to ensure the corrects repairs are made and installations are done properly.