Q: Stiff gearbox, difficulty when shifting gears

I bought my manual transmission,6-speed '08 Hyundai Tiburon around 8/15/16 with about 91,500 miles on it.There was only some difficulty in shifting gears when I test drove the vehicle. Between 9/1/16 and 10/10/16, I've found it is extremely difficult to shift gears- it's the most difficult when putting the vehicle into 1st and reverse. Around 9/6/16,I had a reputable local mechanic drain the old gear out of the vehicle and put fresh gear oil into the transmission case.The old gear oil was a very dark black in color.The gear oil change didn't seem to help with the tough shifting. Sometimes, double-clutching makes it easier to shift gears.The dealer I bought the car from said he had his guy put it in a new "flywheel" and a new "spindle disc." The slave cylinder looks new to me too. I found the original owner/1st owner of the car and he said he sold the car around 12/1/15 because "the clutch was going bad." When the car is off, and I try to shift gears, the car shifts like butter.

Hello. Your vehicle is having a clutch problem. It is either that the clutch itself is failing or the hydraulics for the clutch system are not building the correct pressure.

I usually start by checking the hydraulics. I visually check the movement of the clutch slave cylinder when the clutch pedal is being applied. If it is not moving much then it may have a problem with the clutch master cylinder. This is a common failure. If there is good pressure and good movement at the slave cylinder then the clutch itself needs to be done.

If you want to have this shifting problem diagnosed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this problem. Best of luck.