Q: Sticking Shift-Lock Solenoid?

The shifter wouldn't pull out of park without putting something in the override. The brake light switch is fine...I replaced it, and really didn't need to...no results. I took out the center console and inspected the solenoid. I ran a q-tip with alcohol on everything, including the wiring connector and the...spring loaded shaft (I don't know that's the accurate term, but hopefully it describes it well). I reconnected the battery and put everything back together, and now it works...but not all the time. It will work 10 times, then it won't the next 5 times...why would it be inconsistent?

A: Over time, the solenoids get weak. However,...

Over time, the solenoids get weak. However, depending on temperature, the solenoid will be stronger or weaker. This is why it is intermittent. If you get the solenoid replaced then this should fix the problem. I recommend you have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, verify the solenoid is getting power and ground. If necessary, they will be able to replace the shift interlock solenoid for you.