Q: Shifting

That's is two problens 1. When starting from a full stop the first gear shift is a hard yolt lurching the truck forward, the following shifts are smoother but are I feel a higher then normal RPM 28 to 3000 I just bought this truck thru a family member who is a VP of a large dealership. All new breaks and hard ware head gaskets transmission serviced at least it has a new pan gasket. Other then new Raod range E tires that is all I know that was done but that hard shift of the line no matter what a speed has me worried. For this is my only work truck and I'm a self employed home remodeler no truck no work. Thank you for you time ill ask my other question another time.

It sounds like your vehicle’s transmission is not shifting properly. Check the level of transmission and fluid condition. If the fluid level is low, that will cause shift difficulties. If the fluid is discolored or has a burnt odor, that would reflect an internal mechanical fault. Failures to shift, late shifting, harsh shifting, and so forth are due to either external control failures, including in some cases engine related controls such as the throttle position sensor, but also including the vehicle speed sensor, transmission control module, and shift solenoids. Many of these issues can be repaired with the transmission in situ. Internal faults that cause shift problems can be due to valve body faults, plugged transmission filter and failed piston seals, o-rings, bands, and clutch packs. To identify the problem, the recommended service is a failure to shift diagnostic. Once that diagnostic is complete, the mechanic will explain the repair strategy to you in detail and estimate the cost. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.