Q: Car will not crank after putting in a new starter. Forced starter to start up and engine starts but stalls out. Will the security continue to cut off fuel while force starting?

asked by on December 15, 2016

Buying this car and had been told the starter was bad. I replaced the starter and car will not crank. I have done a drop test on the starter celenoid wire and am not receiving any volts which leads me to believe the ignition switch is bad. I'm going to replace that next. I tried to force start the car by touching contacts on starter but will only run for a second or two then die. with the security protocols in place and a faulty ignition switch will it continue to cut off fuel while force starting.?

Hi there. Forcing the starter to engage to make the engine run without the ignition engaging the starter will continue to keep the security on. This is a safety feature that keeps people from stealing your vehicle. I recommend replacing the ignition switch and checking the wires to make sure that they are all tight and clean. If you need further assistance with diagnosing your ignition problem, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.