Q: 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 180,000 miles. As I'm driving it starts to sputter but still going the speed limit.

asked by on March 16, 2017

car sputters while driving sometime then speeds up then slows down. after I get where I am going and turn it off, it works fine next rime for awhile. Sometimes I lose power and other times I don't but it makes a sputtering noise.

Engine is sputtering Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Sounds like the crankshaft position sensor is loosing connection when driving. Check the harness to the crankshaft position sensor and see if there is a loose wires or if the contacts can be loose when pushed against. The harness could be moving around when there is a large turbulence of air blowing against it. If so, then the harness will need to be repaired. If you need further assistance with your engine sputtering sometimes at highway speeds, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.