Q: Can't figure out how to disconnect negative battery cable

My '98 Ford Expedition (Eddie Bauer if that matters) has a negative battery cable I can't seem to figure out how to remove. I've installed and removed plenty of batteries, and what puzzles me the most - I installed the battery that's in it right now. But I have no memory of ever removing a cable that's connected with the kind of terminal connector that's on it right now. And Chilton's isn't very helpful; referring only to some that need a "special battery cable pliers". It's kind of a complicated design, but it's the picture that lead me here that shows a terminal post with a round cable connection and a center that is open. It's the picture that's located here: https://d3vl3jxeh4ou3u.cloudfront.net/SBF%20Battery%20Cable.jpg

Can you help me figure out what I need to do to remove this cable? I don't know what the other side looks like, but the connector is the same.

Thanks so much,

Lisa Fletcher

Hi Lisa: the picture you sent shows a conventional post and terminal connection held on with a through bolt and nut. The nut is probably around 10 or 12 MM (if metric). You can just use a box end wrench or a deep socket to remove the nut and bolt and the negative terminal (must be removed first and installed last, of course) will pull right up. If what you have is different than what is depicted in the photo, please request battery installation/removal and the responding certified mechanic will get this problem resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Can't figure out how to disconnect negative battery cable