Q: Can a rear impact accident cause problems with the VSA? SYSTEM MALFUNCTIONED AFTER THE ACCIDENT

asked by on December 22, 2016

The car was involved in a rear end impact I would like to know if a rear end impact can cause problems with the Honda VSA system it did not start malfunctioning until after the rear end Impact impact

Hello, thank you for writing in. The VSA or Vehicle Stability Assist system is designed to work with the ABS system to keep control of the vehicle at all times in all conditions. It uses several of the same sensors as the ABS system, and any form of impact can mess with the electronics. The forces of an accident even at low speeds are enough to jolt all kinds of electronics out of place, or misalign a sensor. The warning light should come with codes that will help you diagnose the problem. You should have the vehicle scanned for diagnostic troubleshooting codes. The light should illuminate while the computer runs its test as the vehicle is started. It then should shut off. A blinking light means the system is currently working to keep the car controlled. A constant light will tell you that the system is having issues and it wants you to scan for codes. This can be done at most automotive parts stores, or by a technician. For more help with the system, contact our service department.