Q: Delay in shifting gears

My car has automatic transmission and lately, there have been some issues with it. It seems as if there is a delay in shifting. It usually takes up to 8 seconds for the gear to finally shift.This happens when I shift to reverse. There is also a kind of a hard, slow shifting happening between second and thrid gear. While downshifting, there is actually high revving. These issues happen intermittently. I had transmission fluid changed but it didn't solve the problem. I was told that I might have to get transmission replaced. The other option is overhaul. I need a second opinion on this as I'm reluctant to spend that kind of money if it is not absolutely necessary. Please give me some advice.

A professional with Saturn experience should use a scan tool to check for diagnostic trouble codes in your transmission control module. Some repairs can be made without a complete disassembly of the transmission. This will help him or her make the diagnosis and eliminate the possibility of a faulty solenoid, valve body, or other electrical issue as the root cause. Due to mileage, symptoms, fluid condition, or other test results, a rebuild may be required. If you want to have this checked, a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic will be able to inspect your shifting issue and let you know what needs repair.

3. Delay in shifting gears