Q: Steering wheel will pull to the right after pressing down on the accelerator.

asked by on March 06, 2017

(This is not torque steer, nor is it tramlining) As soon as I press down on the accelerator my steering wheel will 'loosen up', if you will, almost as if it was not aligned, but will literally snap back to the correct position (in the center, almost perfectly aligned) after I do one of two things; lift off the accelerator, or maintain a constant speed. This only started happening after I brought it to get aligned about 3 to 4 months ago. This isn't a problem when I go straight because I can deal but is really bad when accelerating in a curve. My car has 152550 miles.

Hi there. There are two items in particular that will typically cause this problem after having a suspension alignment. The first is known as a radial pull - caused by a tire that has a slipped radial belt inside the tire. As the vehicle accelerates, the tire that is damaged will pull to one side, as the damaged belt creates a natural "heavy" situation. The second is a damaged or failing wheel bearing. In some cases, power steering issues can also cause looseness in the steering wheel. To accurately diagnose this issue, it is a good idea to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location; so they can test drive the vehicle and complete a car pulls to one side inspection.