Q: Starts, runs, and then stalls after about 10 minutes with new battery and alternator

My van will start run and drive ok for about 10 minutes then bog down not restart right away with new battery and alternator....why?

Hello. This may be a sign of a failing ignition coil. As you may know, an ignition coil is made of a series of coil windings that generate current that is held and then transmitted to the spark plug wires and then to the spark plugs.

The coils have an insulation on them that eventually breaks down or deteriorates over time causing the coils to be exposed which can cause them to short or otherwise not function properly. When this happens, they will no longer produce the current needed to be supplied to the spark plugs.

This generally will fluctuate with the amount of heat present around the coils. When they heat up, this causes them to short and become inoperable. As they cool down, this process repeats and they begin producing current again. I recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose the stalling problem so that it can be properly repaired.

• Starts, runs, and then stalls after about 10 minutes with new battery and alternator