Q: My car wont stay on

My car was idling bad and my transmission was racing when I step on the gas and I had a check engine sign I heard that the filter could be cleaned and problem solved while I was cleaning it the plastic housing around the valve broke but I put it back on the car still and from that the car wont start if it does then after a few seconds it shuts down

A: This may be related to a dirty or failing i...

This may be related to a dirty or failing idle air control valve. The idle air control valve monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine at low speeds and at idle. This valve is controlled by the vehicle's computer which will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed. This is all controlled by the idle air control valve. When the engine RPM drops below the normal range of 750-800 RPM (for most cars), this may indicate a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. In cases where this valve is dirty or failing, your vehicle may stall instead of slowing to an idle after the release of the throttle. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and repair your idle air control valve so that this can be resolved.