Q: Car overheating, low on water but no leaks

The other day my car was overheating, so I went to an auto repair shop where they did a cooling system diagnostic test. I was there for 2 hours and when they came out they said it was low on water, but they couldn’t find any leaks. Could you please give me an idea of what I should do next to solve this overheating problem? Thanks

A: If you have a low coolant condition but the...

If you have a low coolant condition but there are no external leaks, then the engine is leaking internally. Only a pressure test can reveal where the coolant is leaking, too. The leak may be the head gasket leaking into the combustion chamber of one or more of the cylinders. Have a combustion test done on the cooling system to see if there is combustion gases in the cooling system indicating a blown head gasket. If you want this properly diagnosed in person, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your overheating issue and make the correct repairs.