Q: Started reading high engine temperature

I was driving home from the store and it read high engine temperature so I rushed home and opened my hood and turned the car off. Wondering what to do

This can be caused by a number of things such as low coolant levels, a faulty thermostat, or a failing coolant fan switch. The coolant fan switch helps to maintain the proper coolant temperature by turning the fans on and off at specific temperatures. When this switch is not working properly, this can cause the fans to come on intermittently, all the time, or sometimes not at all.

When this happens you will notice a temperature spike and drop occasionally as the fan comes on and off. When your thermostat is not working properly or is stuck closed, this will not allow the coolant to properly circulate through the engine, which may cause the engine temperature to fluctuate erratically or in some cases just remain hot. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your cooling system so the correct repairs can be made.