Q: There is a lot of paint flaking off, what can I do?

asked by on November 02, 2015

I am pretty sure the paint on my 2006 Honda Odyssey has cost me thousands in resale value alone. The last thing I want to do is throw more money at the problem, but I am at a loss. At 68,000 miles, my paint is peeling all over the place and started happening at only 20,000 miles. The clear coat was so thin, it didn’t stand a chance. What can I do to make it look less like garbage?

The only thing that can be done with paint issues, whether it be peeling, fading or bubbling, is sanding and repainting the affected area or the whole car, if needed. The problem is not a thin clear coat issue. It sounds like it is an issue with the paint’s quality and the factory’s paint process because the paint is not sticking to the components. Honda knows about this happening to the Odyssey and Accord models in the early 2000s, but they only addressed some Accords and 2003-2005 Odysseys (only certain colors) by extending the Paint warranty for 7 years from its original purchase or lease date, without mileage limit. Honda actually sent a letter to some of customers that were affected. The warranty extension covered the roof, hood (which included the top panel and edges of the sliding doors), top half of the quarter panels and the top half of the front fenders. If there was any other affected areas, they would have to be confirmed by a dealer factory representative to arrange having all affected areas repainted free of charge.