Why would there be smoke coming from under my hood and no...

Q: Why would there be smoke coming from under my hood and now my car does not shift 2001 Honda Civic

asked by on February 07, 2017

I used to have an oil leak on my car, but we got it fixed. I recently got an oil change 2-3 weeks ago. After my oil change, my car has not been shifting as well while driving. When I got to school this morning, there was smoke coming from the hood. I couldn't tell if there was a smell or not, but there was smoke and it lasted for about 5-10 minutes. I haven't been able to check the fluid of anything yet. What could be wrong with my car?

My car has an automatic transmission. I drive a 2001 honda civic lx

Hi there. It seems that the transmission fluid is leaking. Check the cooler hoses from the transmission to the radiator on the car and see if they are leaking. A leak on the transmission will cause the vehicle to not shift properly as there is not enough oil the apply all of the clutch packs inside the transmission. The lack of fluid could cause the down shifting solenoid to fail and make the transmission not up shift. If you need further assistance with your transmission not shifting, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Hello. This can be caused by a number of things. The first thing that needs to be determined is where the smoke is coming from. That may be directly related to the shifting if it is due to leaking transmission fluid. The smoke can also be caused by an electrical issue or other leak going on. If you are looking to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose where the smoke is coming from] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/smoke-from-engine-or-exhaust-inspection