Q: Metal wheel broke in half and belt laying on top of it..

Hello my name is Kayla. My 97 malibu have given me so much trouble lately. Two weeks ago my car started to make a God awful sound and plasic burning smell. Well just last night i was driving it and the sound was louder than I have ever heard it then all of a sudden it felt like it spit somthung out and make turning it almost impossible. So this morning I popped the hood and my metal wheel next to my power steering and belt completely broke in half and my belt is laying on top of the broken wheel. I really don't know what happens or what is going on is this fixable? I really need some answers.....

I can tell you that this is fixable. Without seeing this in person I am unsure which pulley has caused the failure but I would think it is either the water pump or tensioner pulley.

I can only suggest having a mobile mechanic come and diagnose the problem and replace your water pump pulley or belt tensioner pulley if my suspicions are correct. Do not attempt to drive it or you may overheat or damage more components.

3. Metal wheel broke in half and belt laying on top of it..