Q: Should you start a vehicle with low oil pressure light on?

I was driving and low oil pressure stop engine came on and the vehicle stopped immediately. I had it towed to a gm mechanic and they said they started the vehicle and ran it for a few minutes until it had shut off. They then said they took off the oil pan and the oil pump failed and there was scoring and metal shavings. Should they have started the vehicle knowing the low oil pressure light was on and did they cause the scoring damage? The vehicle shut off immediately when the light came on while I was driving at about 30mph, I don’t believe it would have been damaged from that and now they want 6,000 for a new motor. Please help

3. Should you start a vehicle with low oil pressure light on?