Q: Car won't shift out of 2nd gear and is at 4000 rpm at 25 mph. Hasn't had oil change in awhile and dirty trans fluid. 2002 Ford Taurus

Wondering whether the issue is a gone transmission or something else. Car was running ok yesterday and now today it won't shift past 2nd gear and is revving at 4000rpms going 25 mph. Other noticeable issues are the transmission fluid is dark and the oil definitely is over due for a change.

Hi there - while you have lots of miles on your Taurus, it is a cheap investment to have a fluid/filter service and engine oil/filter service performed on your transmission. Should that not restore proper operation of the transmission, I recommend a transmission inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Car won't shift out of 2nd gear and is at 4000 rpm at 25 mph. Hasn't had oil change in awhile and dirty trans fluid. 2002 Ford Taurus