Gear shift lever not shifting out of park s-type gears v8...

Q: Gear shift lever not shifting out of park

asked by on February 26, 2016

The gear shift lever does not want to shift out of park. I believe it might be the gear selector solenoid.

Hello, the first thing to check would be the operation of the stop lamp switch. When you press the brakes does the stop lamp illuminate? If they do, good that tells you that the switch is good. Now if it didn’t light up, you should check all the fuses before anything else. A blown fuse could prevent the shifter release solenoid, from working. If all the fuses are good, the power and ground going the the solenoid should be tested. If power and ground are good, then the shifter or solenoid can be replaced. I recommend having a certified mechanic come to your location to diagnose your gear shifting issue and determine what repairs need to be made.