Q: Was going up a hill and the car started to hesitate to get acceleration and the muffler is shaking now when idle

asked by on November 27, 2016

Was going up a hill and the neon started to hesitate and now the acceleration is hesitating and when idle the muffler shakes please help. and when I got to top of the hill it the acceleration was still hesitating And the engine starting to shake a lil too

This may be related to many different things that can cause the engine to struggle. One possibility may be a sign of a clogged catalytic converter. As you may already know, the catalytic converter converts toxic exhaust gases into less harmful pollutants that are suitable to be expelled into the atmosphere. When this is clogged, this causes these gases to be backed up into the exhaust system not allowing the engine to breathe properly (think of a backed up sink). When this happens, the engine is forced to work much harder to expel these gases. This often results in the engine bogging down, hesitating, shaking and causing very poor fuel economy. Typically when this happens it may also cause the catalytic converter to become very hot and in some cases turning bright red. This should also cause a check engine light to come on as the O2 sensors should be reading the incorrect amounts of oxygen in the exhaust gases if this is your problem. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your catalytic converter.