Q: Shifting issue

Hi there, so I have a beetle and now it feels like it's not shifting( if I put it in manual it does shift but I only have gears 1-3. When driving in D I don't feel shifting and my rpm just goes up slowly as I accelerate. I stop at about 55mph and my rpm would be at about 4K.

Would this be that my transmission is shot or is it something else and less expensive?

Thanks

Juan

This may be a sign of a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you may know, your transmission uses hydraulic fluid that is pressurized to change gears. Every time a gear change happens, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid. When this happens transmission fluid is directed into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take the car for a test drive to more specifically determine the cause for this shifting issue.