Q: Shifting issue

Hi there, so I have a beetle and now it feels like it's not shifting( if I put it in manual it does shift but I only have gears 1-3. When driving in D I don't feel shifting and my rpm just goes up slowly as I accelerate. I stop at about 55mph and my rpm would be at about 4K.

Would this be that my transmission is shot or is it something else and less expensive?

Thanks

Juan

A: This may be a sign of a faulty transmission...

This may be a sign of a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you may know, your transmission uses hydraulic fluid that is pressurized to change gears. Every time a gear change happens, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid. When this happens transmission fluid is directed into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take the car for a test drive to more specifically determine the cause for this shifting issue.