Q: Car won't pass state inspection due to emissions problem..

I am preparing this car to sell it for my grown daughter. I've already spent about $800 on it to get it presentable and repairs and now I find it won't pass the state inspection. My regular mechanic said it could be the EGR valve needs replacing, which he estimated will run about $500 to $600. With that expense I will have quite a bit more expense into the car (I had already advanced my daughter $1000 for it) than I will be able to sell it for. Anyway my mechanic unplugged this problem part to enable the car to run smoother (it was doing a lot of missing with it plugged in).Would be interested in your take on this situation.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation/EGR Valve Replacement $144.81 - $884.51 Get a Quote

Yes, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can test the EGR system on the engine and determine if the problem is the valve, the passageways, or the electronic controls. Once the root cause of the fault is understood, obviously you would then have a precise estimate of the cost to resolve this. If you desire that the problem you are having with the EGR system be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an EGR system diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you, replacing the valve if needed. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.