Q: Shaking

My car all of a sudden started shaking (mostly when accelerating) It starts at about 40mph. I had just driven about 30 minutes on the freeway at a steady 70-80mph. No problem. I exit, stop at the light, and when I start up again, this happens. Air pressure is good, no recent curb-checks or incidents.

Please let me know where to start.

(I am also pretty far from home and would like to know if I can drive it home)

A: Most of the time, steering wheel vibration ...

Most of the time, steering wheel vibration is caused by one of three different component issues. The first and most common is wheel / tire balance. This usually occurs when you've been driving at speeds in excess of 40 mph and higher. The second potential issue is wheel bearings that are worn out and the third is related to constant-velocity (CV) joints, tie rods or shock / strut mounts that are loose. If you'd like, a YourMechanic certified technician can come to your location to perform a car is shaking or vibrating inspection. This will reduce the guess work and allow you to get the broken components fixed quicker and more affordably.