Q: Service tire monitor warning, tire pressure a bit high

My car has gone around 85,000 miles. When I drive the car for 80 miles approximately, the dashboard shows the service tire monitor warning illuminated. I've been driving on the tires that I changed 8,500 miles ago. The other day, the warning flashed a bit and stayed on. I had the tire pressure checked. The recommended is 35 as far as I know, and my tires had 38 on average, except for the front left one that was shown blank. What do you recommend I should do? Is it safe to drive my vehicle? Thank you.

A: This is likely due to the fact that the per...

This is likely due to the fact that the person who changed your tires may have broken your TPMS sensor in that particular wheel. If the pressure sensor is not giving a signal at all, this would mean that the sensor has failed or is broken and would require replacement. As long as your tire pressure is correct, it is certainly safe to drive your vehicle as long as the light doesn't bother you.

The sensor will need to be replaced in order to make the light go off. I would recommend going back to the place that installed your tires and inquire as to why the sensor is no longer working, especially when it worked just fine before the tires were replaced. They may replace the sensor for free.

If they are unable to help you get it fixed or you simply want a second opinion on this, contact a professional mechanic who can diagnose your TPMS light firsthand and fix it accordingly.