Q: My car runs fine I maintain certain speed but after a while when I accelerate it hesitates a little like the gas is low or somethi

asked by on March 26, 2018

My car cranks up fine it also shifts gears perfect but after a little bit of driving I can maintain a speed anywhere between 45 to 60 but when I accelerate to gain more speed sometimes it hesitates for an example when your gas get low in your car and you mash the gas and it hesitates a little that's the way it does but it catches itself when I let off the gas and push it again 98% of the time it straightens back out but it will do it again eventually so far I thought you maybe bad gas I have let the gas run all the way down to empty almost then I put gas treatment in it then I put mid-grade gas in the tank that did not work I repeated that process maybe three times I also change the air filter because I thought maybe it was not getting enough of air or something I do not have any warning lights on I am stuck I don't know what to do next

A scan tool needs to be applied to view actual (real time) engine operating parameters. "Something" will appear out of range during such a test and then a more detailed probe will pinpoint the fault. Typically, loss of power on acceleration is due to plugged fuel injectors, faulty oxygen sensors, fuel pump and/or filter restrictions, vacuum leaks including that caused by a faulty EGR system, ignition system malfunctions, bad valve timing if the timing belt or chain is worn or skipped, blocked exhaust (e.g., catalytic converter fails or becomes clogged), a faulty airflow sensor or throttle position sensor (or electronic throttle if equipped), and so forth. To pinpoint the exact cause will require an engine loss of power diagnostic. If you request that diagnostic, the certified mechanic will get this resolved for you right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.