Q: Car surges at stop light

asked by on April 06, 2017

My car is a ford escort SE I had the fuel filter changed and it was full of rust crap. it stopped my car from surdging a little never shut off when I come to a stop light. had the fuel filter changed and it is still doing the same thing. also when I turn the wheel it has a cluncking noise. I believe I had out side rods changed I was told by a back yard mechanic it might be the rack in pin yun? it could be the inside rods? I need help , but I am tired of getting ripped off from mechanics that don't know what they are doing and I keep putting money in this car.

Idle Control Valve Replacement $146.15 - $920.51 Get a Quote
Axle / CV Shaft Assembly Replacement $197.63 - $1017.38 Get a Quote

Hi There, What you are describing sounds like a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. The idle control valve reads the air intake into the throttle body and relays this information to the computer which then uses this information to make adjustments to the fueling of the motor. When this is not working properly, you may notice an erratic idle problem as you describe.

The clunking sound you are describing sounds like you may have a failing axle joint, also known as a CV joint. A CV (Constant Velocity) joint is a shaft that connects the transmission to the wheels, essentially transferring the power from the drive train directly to the wheels. The CV joint is packed with a special grease and sealed tight with the rubber or plastic boot, that is held in place with two clamps. The most common problem with the CV joints is when the protective boot cracks or gets damaged. Once this happens, the grease comes out and moisture and dirt get in, causing the CV joint to wear faster and eventually fail due to lack of lubrication and corrosion. When the CV joint becomes damaged or worn, you may hear a clicking, clunking or popping sound coming from this area as the weight of the vehicle puts pressure on this area and shifts back and forth and side to side. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.