Q: What is wrong with my transmission? 1968 Chevy Impala

I just bought a rebuilt 68 impala with a 5.7 L 350 engine in it and it was drivable before and now I put it in to drive and it takes about 10 seconds and over 4000 rpm to start moving about 5 mph, it will go in reverse normally but when it comes to drive it will not move like it should what should I do ?

Hi there. It sounds like the transmission forward clutch plates are slipping. First check the fluid level and fluid condition by putting the dipstick fluid on a clean white towel and seeing if you see what looks like sand in the fluid. This indicates the clutches are worn out. If this is the case, you would need a transmission overhaul. If you’d like this checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your car’s location to inspect the transmission.

3. What is wrong with my transmission? 1968 Chevy Impala