Q: What is wrong with my transmission? 1968 Chevy Impala

I just bought a rebuilt 68 impala with a 5.7 L 350 engine in it and it was drivable before and now I put it in to drive and it takes about 10 seconds and over 4000 rpm to start moving about 5 mph, it will go in reverse normally but when it comes to drive it will not move like it should what should I do ?

A: Hi there. It sounds like the transmission f...

Hi there. It sounds like the transmission forward clutch plates are slipping. First check the fluid level and fluid condition by putting the dipstick fluid on a clean white towel and seeing if you see what looks like sand in the fluid. This indicates the clutches are worn out. If this is the case, you would need a transmission overhaul. If you’d like this checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your car’s location to inspect the transmission.