Q: No start without starting fluid.

Hi. I have 98 s10 2.2L that has me and friends puzzled. It was running and driving fine than when one day I was leaving home moved about 30 ft and stalled and that was it. Got it in the garage checked pressure at the rail and it held 40-42 psi with key on. Approximately 50 on crank. Changed the pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator and both coils just to be sure. Still wont start on its own but if its primed with fluid it will start and run but dies after it burns off. Borrowed a scan tool and everything shows up clear and no codes. A friend suggested a bad ecm. Another said timing. It does randomly fire while cranking without fluid but doesn't start. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated before I pour more money into sensors or injectors if its more internal or electronic.

A: Hi there. As long as your fuel pressure is ...

Hi there. As long as your fuel pressure is at or above 50 psi then the fuel system should not be the issue. Most of the time this is caused by a bad crankshaft position sensor. This sensor will stop reading correctly and will keep the engine from running.

I usually install a scan tool to monitor the engine speed while cranking. If nothing shows then the sensor is bad. If it is there then I check and see if the security light is on when cranking as the anti theft system can also cause this, though this is not as likely.

If you are planning on having this no start condition checked out, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.