Q: Serpentine belt constantly slips off

The serpentine belt on my 99 ford escort ZX2 constantly slips off. I have to put the belt back on at least 3 times a week. I've recently replaced it with a new belt and it still happens. I notice that every time I start my car, the belt slides off a bit on the tensioner. I'm not sure if the tensioner is misaligned or if it's broken and needs a replacement. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi. Most likely there is something out of alignment in your pulley system causing the belt to come off. The first thing to inspect would be the idler pulley. Remove the belt and check if the pulley wobbles. If so, the bearing is out and causing the pulley to be out of alignment. If you need to have the fault correctly identified and repaired, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the car and follow up with repairs.

3. Serpentine belt constantly slips off