Q: Car cannot start, check engine light on

I've been driving the car a lot lately. On one occasion, I was on a bumpy road with a small incline. The weather was bad and muddy so I had trouble passing the spot. During that, the dashboard started showing the check engine light on. There was a light in the shape of an arrow blinking as well. Now, the car keeps turning over but cannot start. What has gone wrong? How much damage did this cause?

A vehicle that cranks but doesn’t start indicates a problem with fuel delivery, ignition, or compression. A vehicle that doesn’t crank at all indicates a problem with the starting/charging system or an internal engine mechanical problem. You said the Check Engine Light came on, so the first step in diagnosing your vehicle would be to retrieve the stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCS). These serve as the starting point for any further diagnosis. The only way to know for certain what happened and how much damage was done, is to have the starting issue diagnosed by a professional. I suggest the experts over at YourMechanic.

3. Q: Car cannot start, check engine light on