Q: Convertible top malfunctioning and warning lights stay on

The convertible top on my car is not closing properly. Even though the roof is closed, the warning light and bell go off. The controls don’t move and the red light stays on near the dashboard. I either have to drive for a while, go over some bumps, or push down the corners and if I’m lucky, then it goes off. I open and close the roof and then the next day it happens again. Does it need oiling or what do you suggest that I do in order to correct this problem?

A: Hello. It sounds like the motor that moves ...

Hello. It sounds like the motor that moves the top is failing. When the electric motor fails, this will occur. I usually start by scanning the computer for codes to see if anything comes up. If not, then I apply power directly to the motor to see if it works. If not, then it will need to be replaced. If the motor is fine, then it may have a linkage issue, but that is not very common. If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the electrical components involved and recommend an appropriate repair.