Q: Reduce power light is on

I have a 2002 Saturn L300. Car started having a problem with the MAF sensor. Last Monday while checking the MAF sensor with a multimeter and having the car Reved to about 2000rpm the "reduced power" dash light came on and I no longer had any response from my gas pedal. Know when the car is on it only stays on for about a minute and turns off. I still have no response from the gas pedal and "reduced power" is always on. I've already swapped the MAF sensor and Throttle body. Still nothing has changed. Any help is appreciated.

What problem codes are set? Most often, these symptoms are the result of a failed throttle position sensor. Traditionally, cars will have a throttle cable but your Saturn has a "fly by wire" throttle system. If the engine management system detects a problem in throttle control, it limits power and turns the "reduced power" light on to safeguard drivers. A related possibility is a bad wiring connection with the engine wiring harness. Cleaning engine/transmission controller connections, and engine harness-to-chassis wiring with electrical contact cleaner is a good exclusion step. I would recommend an inspection from YourMechanic to confirm this diagnosis, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs. YourMechanic can dispatch a mobile, professional mechanic to your location to look into this acceleration issue.

3. Reduce power light is on