Q: Chip in key 2003 Land Rover Freelander

My key recently snapped, luckily not in any of the locks. I ordered a new one and was advised by the dealer that I could swap the chip from my old key into the new one, therefore saving the cost of getting the new key/chip programmed. Does this sound right?

Hello - this is correct. There is a transponder chip inside your old key that is programmed already to your in-car receiver. Disassembling the old key, remove the chip, and installing it in your new key (discard or save the "new, but unprogrammed transponder chip"), and your new key will work as expected with your vehicle. Happy motoring!