Q: What is the anti-lock brake self-test?

asked by on December 14, 2015

What is the anti-lock brake self-test?

The anti-lock braking system (ABS) on your car is designed to conduct a self-test every time you crank the engine. During the test, the ABS light on the dash will turn on, and then should go out after a few seconds. The system is checking itself to ensure that everything is in working order. If the ABS light does not go out after a few seconds, you should have your car inspected immediately, as it indicates a problem.

Tips

• It’s normal to hear a clunking noise during the self-test.

• It’s possible that you’ll feel a pulsation in the brake pedal during the self-test. This is normal.

• If ABS isn’t working or has been disabled, you will still have normal braking capabilities.