Q: At 60 mph tachometer fluctuates between 3000 and red line

The tachometer begins to fluctuate when I am driving near 60 mph. It wavers when it is between 3000 and the red line. Sometimes it wants to stop when it is near the 60 mph speed. Within the past five years, the distributor, main relay, and the alternator have been replaced. This problem began after a replacement of the half-shafts. The same mechanic who replaced the half-shafts also replaced the timing belt. He also performed a complete electrical check. Sometimes I get a CEL and at times when going up steep hills. The codes are 1 and 20, electric load detector, and oxygen sensor. I was told that the electric load detector code might go away with the recent alternator replacement. My car is still having difficulties and would you please tell me what you think the problem is with my car?

A: Hello. The Electric Code Detector is a comp...

Hello. The Electric Code Detector is a component of the fuse block that detects increased electrical power needed and increases the idle speed to allow the alternator to provide more power. There is a specific test from Honda to determine if this component has failed. For a second opinion, a professional mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, can perform this test to determine if that function has failed. The mechanic should also check for additional problem codes since you mention the Check Engine light coming on intermittently.