Q: Problems shifting gears

I’m having problems with my Passport 2002 ex when shifting gears. It’s intermittent. My car went thought a 127 point inspection a few months ago and there were not any problems seen. After driving it for 8 hours it wouldn’t start. This just happened once. When I start the car sometimes it says I'm in reverse. But the car will shut off before I complete the reverse. When I put it in drive it will say on the dashboard that I put it in reverse. Other times it will not light up at all. The car jumps a little while driving in neutral. Then I have to stop the car and wait a little while. Then I can start driving again normally. When I started the car again it did the dash message saying I was in reverse even though I was in park. The inspection said my transmission was normal. What do you think is wrong? Do you have any ideas?

It sounds like your 2002 Honda Passport may have an issue with its gear selection sensor. This sensor provides information to the powertrain control module as to which gear the vehicle is in.

If this sensor is giving false signals to the powertrain control module, the vehicle may not behave properly. I would recommend having this sensor located and tested for proper function using a digital multimeter. This test is best left to the professionals due to the fact that, many times, trim pieces must be removed from the dash in order to access the sensor. If the sensor is faulty based on the testing, it is almost a certainty that replacing the sensor will resolve the issues your are currently experiencing. Have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your shifting problem and perform any repairs as necessary.

3. Q: Problems shifting gears