Q: Problem with the electrical system affecting all lights

My car is having what I think are electrical issues. The problem seems to be within all the front lights, including: turn signals, fog lights, brake lights, headlights; plus the windshield wipers aren’t working properly. The mechanic says this will be much more complicated than just replacing a fuse or circuit. What do you suggest is causing this trouble?

A: All of these items are tied together by one...

All of these items are tied together by one common component: the front electronic control module (ECM). A faulty ECM can cause lighting and wiper issues. This module will most likely need to be coded to determine your VIN’s specific options. Trying a used ECM may work if the hardware number is the same and the donor car’s options match yours. If you want to have your electrical system inspected by an independent mechanic, consider YourMechanic to provide service at your home or office.