Q: My shifter won't go into park - 2002 Saturn SL1

The shifter won't always go into park after driving. I have to move shifter down into the other gears and then back up to park several times to get it to stay in park

A: Hello and thank you for contacting YourMech...

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. The shift cable could be stretched causing the shifter not to go into park. Remove and replace the shift cable and recheck.

The lock solenoid in the shifter housing may have failed and will not allow the shifter to go into park. If you were to get it into park, the shifter would not come out of park. Disconnect the battery and remove the shifter housing from the floor board and turn it over. You will see the solenoid in the housing. Remove the solenoid and replace it. Put the shifter housing back in and hook up the battery.

Recheck the symptoms and the shifter should work. If you need assistance determining why the shifter will not go into park, have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, perform an inspection.