Q: How do I change a flat tire?

asked by on December 14, 2015

How do I change a flat tire?

While we all hope to avoid it, there’s a significant chance that you’ll experience a flat tire in your car while on the road or after parking somewhere. If you do, it’s important that you know how to change the tire and put on the spare. There are only a few steps to follow:

1. Get out of traffic.

2. Park somewhere flat (and safe).

3. Turn on your hazard lights to alert other drivers.

4. Put the transmission in park and set the parking brake.

5. Block the front and back of the wheel diagonal from the flat tire.

6. Get the jack, tools, and spare out of the trunk.

7. Remove the wheel cover on the flat tire.

8. Loosen the lug nuts on the flat tire.

9. Set the jack on the lift point behind or in front of the flat tire (there are two on each side of the car).

10. Raise the jack (and the car).

11. Remove the lug nuts.

12. Remove the flat tire.

13. Install the spare tire.

14. Hand tighten the lug nuts.

15. Lower the car.

16. Tighten the lug nuts using the lug wrench (follow a star pattern).

17. Put the spare in the trunk and replace the jack and other tools.