Q: Problem with noisy brakes

My car has a brake problem. When the car stops, there is a noise in the brakes. The noise doesn't happen every time you hit the brakes. It is more frequent when it is cold. The car has been to the dealer and they say a part is on order. The car seems to stop fine otherwise. Any tips if the part doesn't work?

A: Depending on what part you purchased, you m...

Depending on what part you purchased, you might be ok. Brakes usually only make noises if they are installed incorrectly, or if the friction material (brake pads) are not solidly connecting to the rotors. If the rotors have high spots or low spots in them, the pads can wear unevenly, causing noises.

I would advise getting a brake inspection before purchasing parts in the future, to avoid the potential for wasted time and money. If you purchased pads and rotors, you should be in the clear as those brake parts are the most common to cause brake noise, especially under colder conditions.