Q: What do I do if the engine won’t start?

What do I do if the engine won’t start?

When you turn the key in the ignition (or press the start button with a smart key system), the engine should crank and allow you to drive. However, there may be conditions that prevent the engine from cranking in the first place. Here are a few important troubleshooting steps to follow if you find that your engine won’t start:

• Check the fuel level. If the tank is empty, fill it (you’ll need to use a portable gas can).

• You may have flooded the engine. Wait 15 minutes or so and try to crank the engine again.

• The immobilizer system may be malfunctioning. Check the Immobilizer light in the dash. If it is flashing quickly, then there’s a problem with the system (the key is not programmed, for example).

• You may not have the smart key in the car (if you have the smart key system).

• The smart key may be too far from the receiver. Make sure the smart key is in your pocket in the front seat.

3. What do I do if the engine won’t start?