Q: Possible AC compressor problem

I was hearing a noise that sounded like the serpentine belt was going bad. I also heard a little grinding. I think it is the AC compressor. When I took the belt off and turned the wheel on the AC compressor, it made a little noise. I replaced the belt with a new one, and the noises diminished. I ran it a while, and it seemed fine. But the belt broke. I need the car to run without the AC for now.

Hi there. The pulley on the air conditioning compressor or another pulley could be the cause for the belt failing. Some vehicles have the accessories in locations where a shorter belt can be applied and the air conditioning compressor can be bypassed. Your vehicle does have a model that came without air conditioning and an experienced technician can install the shorter belt recommended for your vehicle. The air conditioning compressor will simply be bypassed and out of operation until the compressor is fixed properly and the correct belt is installed. Have an experienced technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the AC system for faults and recommend the appropriate repairs for your specific situation.

3. Possible AC compressor problem