Q: Parasitic draw 1983 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

I have an 83 monte carlo. Something keeps,kiklin my battery. On my 3rd battery in 3 months. 2 weeks ago i changed the battery and alternator. A couple days ago my battery was dead. Jumped it off and now it's fine. Checked for a,parasitic draw, my meter read .55_.56. Is this good or bad? Thanks.

A: Hello - if the meter reading you included i...

Hello - if the meter reading you included is .55-.56 amps (continuously), YES, that is a large parasitic load, and confirms why your battery is going flat quickly. This problem can be diagnosed by connecting an ammeter to the positive (red) battery cable as you have done, observe the current drain (likely less than 1 amp as you observed), then, one at a time, remove each fuse, check to see if the current drain has dropped to near 0, then reinsert the fuse. This process should identify the faulty circuit in most cases. Once the faulty circuit is identified, you then diagnose each electrical component on that circuit for a fault. If you would like help with this process, I would recommend an electrical system inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.